FALL TOURNEY HAS EXCITING FINISH
Mike Zanchetta keeps showing up in the winner’s circle when it comes to tournament play. He did it again when sixteen players faced off in the fun fall tournament held Nov. 7th. After many games, intense rallies and good times, Mike Zanchetta and Friedl Brudermann snuck by Marian Shoemaker and Dave Munro with a score of 7-5!
CHILI COOK OFF WAS A HOT TIME
Fourteen chefs stirred their chili pots and many tasters mingled and exclaimed at the offering. When the taste buds settled the winners were Team Canada, headed up by Madison Shoemaker assisted by her cousins, Lauren, Elle, Gunner and Gavin. This cheery team in red also placed first for Best Theme with their cupcakes decorated in red and white. Second place for tasty chili went to Judi Lees and Jen Gray stirring the pot for the Jorgensen Tennis Team while placing third was Mike Zanchetta who was creative with his popular chili dogs. Second place for Best Theme was Sandy Kay with her Artsy Fartsy chili and Heniz Tigges and his woodworkers place third for Best Theme. Another popular fundraiser for our club.
CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT
The first Suncoast Racquet Club Championship Tournament held April 21-26 was a great success. There were dozens of deuce games, some incredibly close sets as well as some heartbreaking tie breakers. Thanks again to Marian for a tournament well run and thanks to all participants and the lively group behind the glass who did all the cheering. The following are the award winners:
A Division: Men’s Singles: Russell Crum; Men’s Doubles:Mike Zanchetta and Paul Meyer; Mixed Doubles: Tammy Klashinsky and Friedl Brudermann; Women’s Doubles: Marian Shoemaker and Mariana Johnston.
B Division: Men’s Singles: Rainer Koehler; Men’s Doubles: Rainer Koehler and Heinz Tigges; Women’s Doubles: Gillian Kydd and Anne Elliott; Mixed Doubles: Judi Lees and Berndt Rindt.
Club members enjoy a full roster of activities.
- Members drop-in tennis takes place Sunday 12:30 to 3 and Fridays 6:30-8:00.
The last Friday of each month is Pizza night at the drop-in.
- The Brudermann Cup, an annual tournament takes place in January to honour Friedl who stick-handled a busy board through the construction of the Club.
- Annual Open SRC Tournament in March is open to members and other players.
- Every August SRC is a sponsor at the annual Sunshine Coast Open Tennis Tournament that takes place in Gibsons by providing extra courts if required.
- Each month (or every second month depending on other events scheduled) there is a Mix and Mingle, social tournament in fun format – change partners keep your score. Sure some serious hitting goes on but lots of laughs too as participants visit between sets then Scott barbecues.
- Team Tennis Thursday evenings October through April concluding with a tournament.
- Pub Night is a popular fundraiser. Organized by Ron and Gillian Kydd along with a crew of volunteers, club members and guests head for Gilligan’s Pub around the end of January.
- Chili Challenge is now an annual event! Innovative chili chefs cook up a storm and eager tasters choose the best. A popular fundraiser as well as a great time.